Jen Jordan, an Atlanta resident and a progressive member of the Democratic Party, qualified as a candidate to run for Georgia’s 6th Senate District by filing with the Secretary of State today.
“I’m running for state Senate to fight for the kind of economic opportunity that our district deserves” Jordan said. “That means raising the minimum wage to at least $10.10 per hour, making sure the state meets its financial obligations to our public schools and resisting Donald Trump’s attempts to cut healthcare.”
The 6th District is one of the most competitive state Senate districts in Georgia. Hillary Clinton won the district with 55% of the vote, and Daily Kos calls it the “bluest GOP-held Senate seat” in Georgia.
- Jen will fight to raise the state minimum wage to at least $10.10 per hour to increase the incomes of nearly one in four Georgia women working in low-wage jobs.
- She will fight to restore local control so cities can raise the wage higher, if voters agree.
- Jen will fight to increase state funding for public schools, make it easier to afford college and implement universal pre-K so that every 4 year-old can attend their neighborhood school.
- She will fight state cuts to public school funding so local governments won’t have to increase property taxes.
- Jen will fight Donald Trump’s extremist policies.
- She will fight Trump’s attempts to cut healthcare, discriminate against vulnerable Georgians and roll back environmental protections.
Raised in rural south Georgia by a single mom who worked as a hairdresser, Jordan learned first-hand the value of hard work and the importance of creating an economy that works for everyone. It was Jen’s public school teachers who encouraged her to go to college, and by studying hard and working minimum wage jobs, Jen found a way to complete her education.
Because of her passion for fairness, Jen became a lawyer who stands up for those the system has failed. A resident of Atlanta for more than 15 years, where she lives with her husband Lawton and two children, Jen will stand up to Donald Trump in the Georgia Senate and fight for the Democratic values we share.
GET THE PRESS RELEASE: NEWS – Jen Jordan Runs for Senate District 6 (PDF)